Happy New Year!

by Asheya on January 1, 2012

To celebrate the new year with Mothers of Change, we would like to invite anyone who is pregnant to let us know their due month! Leave a comment here on this post, or on our facebook page.

Did you know that what we commonly call a due date is not really the date you should expect your baby to be born? Only 4% of babies are born at the calculated ‘due date,’ which is 40 weeks.

However, 85% of babies are born in the month surrounding 40 weeks (37 weeks to 42 weeks), making a due month a more accurate estimation of when you can expect the birthing process to start spontaneously.

Your maternity care provider may use a pregnancy wheel during your visits.
Notice the blue arrow on the bottom and the blue box, indicating the percent chance of  the birthing process starting spontaneously within a certain date range.

If you are pregnant, let us know your due month (i.e. April or June/July).

If you’ve given birth, let us know what date you would have been 40 weeks pregnant (your ‘due date’) and what date you actually gave birth. Did the birthing process started spontaneously, were you induced, or did you have a scheduled cesarean?

Happy and empowered birthing to all the moms who will give birth in 2012! And for those of us who are already parents, let’s give ourselves a pat on the back–we brought our babies into the world and we made it through all the parenting challenges of 2011!

Here’s to the joys and challenges of birth and parenting: we are the mothers of change!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Asheya January 1, 2012 at 12:04 am

Elias: 40 weeks would have been Jan 15, 2006. Born Jan 10, 2006. (39 weeks). Spontaneous.

Eowyn: 40 weeks would have been April 7, 2008. Born March 21, 2008 (37.5 weeks). Spontaneous.

Amadeus: 40 weeks would have been July 19, 2009. Born July 13, 2009. (39 weeks). Spontaneous.

melissa v. January 1, 2012 at 12:39 am

Ayden: 40 weeks would have been May 15th, 2003. Born May 8th, 2003 (39 weeks). Scheduled cesarean.

Matthew: 40 weeks would have been ? unknown. Born Sept 20th, 2004. Spontaneous. Adopted by us in 2006.

Riley: 40 weeks would have been August 17th, 2008. Born Aug 14th, 2008 (39 weeks plus 4 days). Spontaneous VBAC.

Amarys: 40 weeks would have been March 2nd, 2011. Born March 1st, 2011 (39 weeks plus 6 days). Spontaneous second VBAC.

Each baby 'cooked' longer than the last.

Fern January 1, 2012 at 11:29 am

McPhee: 40 weeks and the day she arrived July 18th 2003 spontaneous

Mattilda: 4o weeks September 6th 2005 born September 12th 2005 spontaneous

Marlayna: 40 weeks October 27th 2009 born November 3rd 2009 induced on November 2nd.

Twins: due March 3rd 2012.

rIAm January 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Maxence: originally due 06 April 2009 (calculated by dates), revised to 19 April 2009 (based on first ultrasound in the first trimester). Spontaneous birth at home (planned) at 38 weeks, one day, which turned out to be 06 April 2009. We never believed the revised due date!

Xavier: originally due in August 2011. By dates it was 07 August 2011 but this was revised to 19 August after the first ultrasound (we seem to have a pattern here…). Born 02 July 2011 (32 weeks, six days). Spontaneous labour but accompanied with bleeding (my second bleed), due to a diagnosed placenta previa, hence a cesarean birth.

Christine Acorn January 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hanna: Due date Feb 7, 2009. Ultrasound recalculated it to be Feb 11, 2009. She was born at home on Jan 30, 2009 at 38 weeks and 2 days.

Olivia: Due date July 21, 2010. Ultrasound recalculated it to be July 15, 2010. She was born at home on July 20, 2010 at 40 weeks and 5 days.

Joshua: Due date Nov 25, 2011. Ultrasound recalculated it to be Dec 6, 2011. (This was more accurate as my cycle was 35 days not 28) He was born at home on Dec 7, 2011 although I went into labour on the 6th he took his time.

Jessica January 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Hey there – I'm due in March. Also, I want to say thank you to all the women that I have read over the last four years, mostly through Melissa's blog, White Noise. My pregnancy has been wonderful and I'm working with midwives I fully trust. I'm not looking forward to the pain, but I am not afraid – I feel like my choices are completely informed and I am excited to sit on the other side of labor with my own story and to love and care for my baby.

Keep writing- your stories inspire.

Jessica

Happy 2012

melissa January 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Annabelle was "due" on March 10, 2010. Went into spontaneous labor in the early morning hours of March 11th and she was born on the afternoon of the 12th :)

Now I'm "due" in late July/early August and looking forward to another beautiful, spontaneous birth!

FabulousMamaChronicles January 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Leo: 41 weeks 3 days, 'due' June 15, born June 20th. Spontaneous labour.

Chelsea January 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Aurora: 40 weeks was February 17th. Spontaneous labor Sunday the 10th. She was born February 13th 2007.

Alexzander: 40 weeks was September 4th. Spontaneous Labor August 30, he was born 2hrs after start on labor August 30th.

TTC currently, hoping for a baby to be due end of 2012 *Fingers crossed*

Anna, Nourishing Roots January 31, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Due July/August with our first (EDD is set at 7/29). :)