Pay Attention to Nutrition during Early Pregnancy
During early pregnancy, it is best to focus on your nutrition. Try not to consume more calories than you did before you got pregnant. What is most important at this time is to make sure you are getting enough high-quality protein, calcium and other critical nutrients. The nutrition that you are getting from what you eat will also be received by the fetus.
Managing Nutrition during Early Pregnancy Symptoms
Get Adequate Nutrients
You must consume 150 more calories than the daily 2,000 calories recommended for women. These added calories amount to about half of a bowl of rice; most importantly, foods must be balanced in nutrients for them to be a good choice. Protein intake should increase by 75g, take special care each day to ensure that you are consuming this amount. Consuming protein is necessary throughout the whole duration of the pregnancy as the fetus, placenta, uterus, breasts and other important structures require high amounts of protein. Vegetarians must find a way to ensure that they are getting adequate protein.
A Nutritional Approach to Severe Morning Sickness
As mentioned in our previous article, morning sickness is one of the signs of pregnancy. At the onset of morning sickness and poor digestion, you can eat foods that increase your appetite, but do not eat too much in one sitting. It is better to eat smaller amounts at more frequent intervals. Morning sickness is particularly acute after waking up in the morning or on an empty stomach, so avoid having an empty stomach by eating some simple crackers or toast.
If you are so sensitive to how food tastes that you avoid it altogether, try to eat cold foods. They have a lighter flavor and will be more palatable. You should mainly eat bland or sour foods such as cold tofu, cold noodles, liangfen, salad, and so on as long as there’s still nutrition on what you’re eating. These foods can be eaten without much concern, even as you experience severe morning sickness. Excessive water intake weakens gastrointestinal functioning, so it is highly recommended that you only drink a small amount of cold water or use a small amount of ice to quench your thirst.
Morning Sickness Foods
Juicy Peach Milkshake
Ingredients: 2 peach slices (canned peaches), 1½ cups milk, 4 tbsp. unflavored yogurt
1. Freeze milk for about 40 minutes, take out to defrost for a moment, crush in blender.
2. Drain the juice from the peaches, crush in blender after chopping into fine pieces.
3. Fill a cup halfway with the milk from step 1, mix in yoghurt until evenly blended, fill the rest of the cup with crushed peaches.
Strawberry Chiffon Cake
Ingredients: 4 egg whites, 1 cup granulated sugar, some vanilla powder, 1tsp vinegar, 1 cup sifted soft flour, 1¼ cups whipped cream, 2 strawberries, small amounts of powdered sugar, butter
1. Preheat oven to 160˚C.
2. Add small amount of granulated sugar to the egg whites, whisk until the foam hardens. After the foam hardens, add vanilla powder, vinegar, and flour.
3. Brush a layer of butter on a piece of baking paper, cover with the dough from step 2. The dough should be 2cm high. Bake for about 40 minutes.
4. Prepare the whipped cream and blend with sliced strawberries.
5. Slice the finished cake from the center, add the blended whipped cream and strawberries, and then cover with the other half of the cake. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for decoration and you're done.
Remember to take in foods that have the nutrition you need like fish, vegetables and fruits.